Please consider the following facts:
- The number of people becoming addicted to and dying from opioids is directly related to the number of opioids we prescribe
- We can greatly reduce the number of opioids we prescribe and treat pain better.
- The science shows that oral opioids are less effective than acetaminophen or NSAIDs in treating acute pain
- Opioids have worse outcomes than the other options
For acute pain, Cochrane reviews reveal that oral opioids are less effective than other options.
For acute pain, opioids have worse outcomes:
- They cause higher medical costs and delay recovery
- They increase the risk of future disability
- They increase the chance of future addiction
- They double the risk of overdose death.